Monday 30 November 2009

Digging India

In India, if I'm not on a dig, I rarely meet other archaeologists. When people ask me what I do and I tell them, there is always an overwhelming level of curiosity, and a frank admission that, aside from Indiana Jones, they don't think they know very much about it. Well, I decided to be an archaeologist because I feel passionately about our heritage (...and I love old things), and like most people who feel passionately about something, I love to talk about it. In fact, I go on and on and on about it. I'm a pain to talk to at parties.

A blog seemed like a good solution. I could go on about archaeology as much as I wanted, answer the questions people always seem to have, and hopefully reveal the sites and monuments that are hidden gems in the cities and states we live in. Growing up in Delhi, I passed them every day. It's an incredibly old city, with an incredibly rich history, and most of us who live there don't know about it - much like India. It kills me when we lose more of our heritage every day, in the rush to modernise and construct. This blog won't be Delhi-centric, and it certainly won't be disturbingly academic and indecipherable, but it will hopefully be informative, eye-opening, and above all, interesting. I'll talk about the things archaeologists do, and the things that made me want to be an archaeologist, and hopefully you'll love them as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment